Thin Client School Benefits
HOW CAN YOUR SCHOOL BENEFIT FROM THIN CLIENT TECHNOLOGY?
Thin Client technology gives your school so much more:
- Total cost of ownership is significantly cheaper
- Administration is simpler as applications are installed just once on a central server
- Lasts much longer – the hardware does not become obsolete – so your budget goes to buying more new equipment, not on replacing existing equipment
- Can be integrated into existing ICT facilities and existing PCs can be redeployed around the school as thin client terminals
- Works seamlessly alongside existing PCs and laptops
- Much more reliable
- Less heat generated than traditional PCs – thereby reducing air conditioning requirements and running costs
- Less space needed – thin client terminals can even be wall mounted.
You can be confident in the knowledge that you would not need to replace your thin client equipment as is the case with PCs. Instead, you can invest your future ICT budgets into buying new additional equipment thus allowing you to improve on your ICT facilities and increase your ICT:pupil ratio.
A local school embraced thin client technology into their new ICT Suite five years ago. This Suite is still performing today as well as the day it was installed. There has been no down-time due to failures or equipment becoming obsolete. Their ICT budget each year has been spent on new equipment and their pupil:ICT ratio now stands at better than 2:1 – a fantastic achievement for a primary school. As an example, this school has one classroom where each pupil has a dedicated monitor with an integrated thin client terminal thereby giving the pupil the opportunity for whole curriculum learning from his/her computer at any time they want. The children have complete freedom to use the computers for research, to communicate and to develop their ICT skills. They are able to select what they feel is the most appropriate way to record their work, giving them control over their learning.